CowTownDance Forum Index

CowTownDance: Calgary's Online Dance Calendar

HomeHome  HelpHelp  CalendarCalendar  SubscriptionsSubscriptions  PhotosPhotos MemberlistMemberlist  SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Private MessagesPrivate Messages  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister 
Half life of a dancer

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CowTownDance Forum Index -> CowTown Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nadreck

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 - 9:50 am    Post subject: Half life of a dancer Reply with quote

I figure it averages about 4 or 5 classes, you lose 75% of those who start out in the first 10 classes or so that they take.

Ok, only a geek would probably look at it that way, but I have noticed that the beginner classes start a lot fuller than they finish. While I am sure it is a great idea to find ways (like Alberta Dancesport did when Take the Lead came out) to get new people interested in dance, and I am all for exploring ways to do that, I wonder if some of those beginners that drop dance would benefit from sharing some of that sense of comunity that develops around longer term dancers.

So, there are definitely some who drop it because it was so far from what they thought it would be that there is no reconciling it. For some dance courses might have just been a means to an specific and narrow social end (finding a partner for non-dance activities). However for the rest I think that if we got some of them on to discussion web sites we could aleviate some of the issues that cause them to drop out, and for those running introductory groups reading, might discover ways to change things to help some of these newbies out. With only a bit over a year of dancing experience myself I have some sense of what kept me going with it and what might have made me give up on it. Certainly it could not hurt to get newbies talking about it. Maybe all it takes for some is to find out what other venues are out there for learning if the one they try first doesn't work for them.

Any one else got some ideas?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CowTownDance Forum Index -> CowTown Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: