CowTownDance Forum Index

CowTownDance: Calgary's Online Dance Calendar

HomeHome  HelpHelp  CalendarCalendar  SubscriptionsSubscriptions  PhotosPhotos MemberlistMemberlist  SearchSearch  ProfileProfile  Private MessagesPrivate Messages  Log inLog in  RegisterRegister 
More dancing in the South!

Post new topic   Reply to topic    CowTownDance Forum Index -> CowTown Chit-Chat
View previous topic :: View next topic  
johanna

PostPosted: Fri Dec 9, 2005 - 12:39 am    Post subject: More dancing in the South! Reply with quote

My husband and I will be moving to Shawnessy and we're worried we won't get out dancing much because all the great dance places are up in the North. I think there's great potential to open a venue for either lessons or just weekly social dances in the far South. Anybody interested in offering such a service? I have tons of dancer friends living in the area with the same problem.
shiden_kai

PostPosted: Sat Jan 7, 2006 - 8:08 pm    Post subject: Re: More Dancing in the South! Reply with quote

And what kind of dancing do you and the ton of dancers in the south that you know do? Are you talking general ballroom dancing....something more specific...etc?
Justin
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jan 9, 2006 - 3:45 pm    Post subject: dancing in the south Reply with quote

We do every kind of couples dancing, but what is truly lacking in the South is general ballroom dancing. We can get our country fix at Ranchman's, etc. Ballroom is also what most of the dancers I know would like to see down here as well. Any leads?
shiden_kai

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 - 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can think of two studio's at the moment that offer ballroom dancing on Saturday evening in the south. The Studio and Dance Connection. Certainly not what any of us would consider "deep" south.

It will be interesting to see if anyone responds. It's certainly a big undertaking if a person was to find a venue, provide a sound system and try and get a bunch of music. I know as I've been busy assembling and finding West Coast Music for our Friday evening dance. It's tough getting it all and then organizing the music. Plus all the other items that would have to be taken care of organizing a dance.

Ian
Keith Cartmell

PostPosted: Wed Jan 11, 2006 - 8:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Linda and I would like it if there was a place closer to dance. We've been to the Studio a few times, Olympia, and in previous years the U of C. All are a long way to go when you live in Woodbine, especially if the weather is crappy.

That said, i don't know of any venues that would be suitable for ballroom dancing. I wonder what it would cost to rent the fitness room at one of the City fitness facilities? The one at Canyon Meadows pool isn't really that big, maybe only a dozen couples would fit at a time. And then there's the question if they'd even be open the nights we want to dance. Not likely. What about community association halls? I know renting school gyms is outrageously expensive.

We've got some ballroom music at home, and would be happy to bring along some CD's. For us, it would be nice just to be able to dance with other people, and we don't need a fancy facility.
shiden_kai

PostPosted: Fri Jan 13, 2006 - 5:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Keith,

If anyone is serious about it, I'd start with a community hall. If you get lucky, they may even have a sound system already there. Cd's would be good to start, but eventually, moving to laptop with mp3's will free up the dj from doing all the work all night.

Ian
james786

PostPosted: Wed Jan 27, 2010 - 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It will be a good start in south. My two friends are living there and they told me that, there they don't have the right platform for dance and community.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    CowTownDance Forum Index -> CowTown Chit-Chat All times are GMT - 7 Hours
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: